PakBus® A proprietary communication protocol developed by Campbell Scientific to facilitate communications between Campbell Scientific devices. Similar in concept to IP (Internet Protocol), PakBus is a packet-switched network protocol with routing capabilities. A registered trademark of Campbell Scientific, Inc. is a Campbell Scientific communications protocol. By using signed data packets, PakBus increases the number of communication and networking options available to the data logger. The data logger allows PakBus communications on all available communications ports. For additional information, see The Many Possibilities of PakBus Networking blog article.
Advantages of PakBus include:
- Simultaneous communications between the data logger and other devices.
- Peer-to-peer communications - no computer required. Special CRBasicCampbell Scientific's BASIC-like programming language that supports analog and digital measurements, data processing and analysis routines, hardware control, and many communications protocols. instructions simplify transferring data between data loggers for distributed decision making or control.
- Data consolidation - other PakBus data loggers can be used as "sensors" to consolidate all data into one data logger.
- Routing - the data logger can act as a router, passing on messages intended for another Campbell Scientific data logger. PakBus supports automatic route detection and selection.
- Short distance networks - a data logger can talk to another data logger over distances up to 30 feet by connecting transmit, receive, and ground wires between the data loggers.
In a PakBus network, each data logger is assigned a unique address. The default PakBus address in most devices is 1. To communicate with the data logger, the data logger support softwareLoggerNet, RTDAQ, PC400, and PC200W - these Campbell Scientific software applications include at least the following functions: data logger communications, downloading programs, clock setting, and retrieval of measurement data. must know the data logger PakBus address. The PakBus address is changed using Device Configuration UtilitySoftware tool used to set up data loggers and peripherals, and to configure PakBus settings before those devices are deployed in the field and/or added to networks., data logger Settings Editor, or PakBus Graph software.